On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:18:53 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

> Are Tiddlers named "$:/state/..." simply the TW equivalent of "Temp" files
> that can be safely deleted?

partially right: ... state tiddlers are seved but $:/temp/... tiddlers are
__not saved__

As the name says, "$:/state/..." tiddlers contain the TW state. eg: "which
tab is selected" by the <<tabs ...>> macro, and so on.
If you want to reset your TW to the initial state of eg: empty.html you can
safely delete them.

I even did create a plugin, to get rid of them
<https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/remove-states/>. ... I need this
plugin while developing stuff, to reset to a "well-defined" state ...

> That's the easy part.
>
>    - I assume you could, in theory, call anything a "$:/state/anything"
>    even if it were not be used for temporary data holding?
>
> right. ... you can name your tiddlers as you like. .. _but_ it may confuse
you and your users in the future and will cost you a lot of time and money
supporting your "mis-named" tiddlers. ... Nothing more to say ;)

>    - And you COULD, in theory, call a state tiddler
>    "$:/not-a-state/confusion"?
>
> yea. ... see above

Naming tiddlers right is hard, if you don't want to create conflicting
names. ... That's why there are some "best practices" in place.

eg: naming conventions for plugin authors:
$:/plugins/<author>/<plugin-name>/<tiddler-name> see my plugin above.

or a list of names used by the core:
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Naming%20of%20System%20Tiddlers

have fun!
mario