Seems the conclusion is that there is no direct way to accomplish this.
(BTW, this probably also means an idea
<http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/#Immediate%20dots%20at%20title-value> I had
for Graphs will not work.)

Switching over to wish-mode:

codacoder suggested a listwidget attribute

> <$list filter="blah" prefilter=none> ...

I like this idea. And it could perhaps be generalized into something like
Tobias' filter plugin <http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#filter> so
that

[quote]

>    - to avoid having to nest list widgets in list widgets
>

>    - - that may not even allow to retrieve the same aggregated results
>

>    - to avail nested filters to a single SetWidget
>    <http://tiddlywiki.com/#SetWidget> or setvars
>    <http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#setvars> widget instance

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d74f2414-2922-429b-b6ee-7f547126e2e8%40googlegroups.com.