Hi Josiah,

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do next time I am in
"visual art mode"

Below are some thoughts emerging just now. I want to get them out of my
head then refactor and reuse in the [[Philosophy of Tiddlers]] kind of
way....I am finding these exchanges very inspiring... what follows is first
draft quality. The context of email reply is helping me. I don't want to go
into an editing process just now... later

(I think there is another dimension the workflow emerging here. Different
media (email, TW) have different qualities, they all interact in different
ways with  creative (and other) processes

!! Avatars/ArtTutor

The ArtTutor avatar is based on my visual art tutor. I remember her saying
"its just a sprawling hypertext Alex" and "its difficult to see your
conceit". The work she was talking about was one where I photographed
chewing gum on pavement during semi-random walks in cities. This was framed
a pyscho geography and rereve. I wanted to appropriate the gum-splodgy on
the street as a sculpture, a readymade in the tradion of DuChamp. I wanted
to then extend this into data and hypertext. Each "gum splodge" marks a
node on a network. It has a unique geo-location and -- maybe -- we would be
able to retrieve the DNA profile of the chewer from the gum.

Basically, to get an art degree by photographic chewing gum you have to
justify it in terms of art history. I did this with my tutors very patient
guidance. I was soon connecting everything I could think of to my
ready-made/hypertext sculpture, and quite righly she pointed out that all
things are connected in the sense that they exist as thoughts in your mind.
She pointed me towards Kant.

!! ArtTutor/NounProjectIcon

I found an icon of a teacher punishing a student and have used it as part
of a [[conceit]]: i imagine the kind of things the tutor would be saying if
I presented SheepyWiki to her in a seminar. I also want to locate the tutor
"[[On the plain|The Cheshire Plain]]" to use it as a context to comment on
knowledge production in that region. I am engaged with a number of
organisations which could be said to be creating and sharing knowledge. The
[[plain perspective]] offers a view of the region which is different from a
map. The boundaries are formed from geographical elements and landmarks.
The slightly wider perspective is that of the Mersey Basin [see ref]

!! Psychogeography of ideas as creativity tool

I want to make SheepyWiki into a useful too to help my thinking in a number
of [[PROCESSES]]. Perhaps there is a hierachy (to be determined later) but
the main ones are those which give rise to a sense of place.

I am using the SheepyWiki development process to try and help me learn
about POSD - Process Oriented Systems Design. Jane, one of my friends in
the systems thinking community worked on this methodology when she worked
at ICL, a state funded computer company which eventually got sold to
Fujitu. POSD was developed by two people who lived in my hometown of
Alsager.

In the spirit of the arts practices associated with psychogeography I want
to use the intellectual legacy of the area to inform my thinking about the
area. This contrived starting sitiuation will I give rise to some
interesting learning outcomes. The whole idea of POSD -- as I see it --is
to design for emergence.

The POSD project was "ditched" (wow! --a landscape / water metaphor!) by
ICL in favour of a hardware project, but some of the people involved in it
are carrying on its development. The main two are getting quite old now,
one is deaf and the other has developed parkinsons. So there is a kind of
emotional motivation here to, especially for Jane who still sees them. I am
less directly emotionally driven, but I see how important it is to Jane.
And it turns out that -- in her role as my informal mentor / consultant --
I have been using the POSD stuff along with another methodology with strong
connections to the region: Stafford Beer's Viable System Model. Basically
Jane has fused POSD and VSM and I think its really important for me to
support her work and to learn how to use it.

Looking down onto the Cheshire Plain you  an see Jodral Bank, a radio
telescope. You can see Manchester and Alderly Edge, the places that Alan
Turing lived and worked while at Manchester Universities computer science
department. POSD also comes from that department: Manchester University and
ICL worked in partnership.  The PlainView in SheepyWiki offers a context to
think about all this. And if you want you can go to places like [[Tegs
Nose]] or [[Lyme Park]] sit down (or fly a kite?) relax and let your mind
wander.

The intention is to think about the wandering mind on and off-line. The
SheepyWiki conceit -- i hope -- is on which you can take for a walk, take
for a wander. And when you see a sheep, it will evoke conceptual metaphors
which could act as a tool to help with creativity.

I like the idea of extending (smashing together?)the *method of loci* --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci -- and POSD. The sheep in a
landscape becomes an icon with an easy to remember but highly complex set
of extended conceptual metaphors

------
CSS effects

Within the overall conceit, the sheep looking out over the Cheshire Plain
offers various conceptual metaphors branching out from a parent metaphor:
[[Knowledge is located in a landscape]] --  [[Larkoff and Johnson]]

Bluring the image can evoke, foggyness - how "clear" things are or appear

Changing opacity: - how far away things are, (especially back lit trees in
winter)

Hue: - time of day, orientation to the sun.

>From the hill, the sheep is looking west towards ireland. She can almost
see liverpool, Snowdonia, Angelea. She definately sees the oil refinary at
Stanlow on the river Dee. When she's looking into the sun the colour is
muted. The moisture (and polution) in the air creates hazyness and
interesting sun set effect.

The backlit conceit also links in with the idea that computer screens are
back lit. colours look different when they are backlit (need to do some
more thinking on this)

!! Some Links

 POSD

Static: http://www.prattens.co.uk/webposd/posd.htm