Peter,

There was also an HTTP redirect involved which could have been cached by
the browser. It's now working on my devices. If anyone else is reading, can
we get another party to confirm?

I ultimately decided not to use "caption" in favor of a new field
"shorttext", which is one of the text fields seen in the card edit
template. The main TiddlyWiki docs <http://tiddlywiki.com/#TiddlerFields>
describe "caption" as "The text to be displayed on a tab or button." On a
conceptual level, "shorttext" is a second field of content where "caption"
is more like metadata. In practice, cards tend to have more text than would
make sense by the above description, and the final straw was the decision
to support inline wiki styles which wouldn't be appropriate to store in
"caption" at all.
In a future version, I would consider adding display of "caption" to the
card, but it would be along side the current way "shorttext" display takes
priority over "title". Feel free to open a GitHub issue if you like.
If you want to hack in something to use for yourself, overriding
"$:/plugins/reidgould/dpbd/templates/view/CardMacros" is the place to start.
You can find more information
<https://reidgould.github.io/tiddlywiki-dropboard/#'shorttext'%20Field>
about "shorttext" in the User Guide.

Only the best for you and your wikis,