Hi Stephen

Before experimenting with TiddlyDesktop internals you should find the location
of the “user configuration folder” - click the “Settings” button on the main
TiddlyDesktop window, and then click the button “Open user config folder”. Then
move up to locate the parent folder, which should be called “TiddlyDesktop”. If
things go wrong, you can reset TiddlyDesktop to its factory state by deleting
this entire folder.

Click the “Backstage” button on the main TiddlyDesktop window to open the
backstage wiki. This is is a Node.js-like instance of TiddlyWiki that runs the
UI and logic of TiddlyDesktop.

> So, as a start, let me get very specific. Suppose I wanted to get rid of the
> "Add a TiddlyWiki Folder" button. How would I do that?

Within the backstage wiki, locate the tiddler “WikiListToolbar” (there’s a link
in HelloThere). Click it into edit mode and you’ll see the wikitext for all the
toolbar buttons. If you make modifications and click “done” then the changes
will immediately be reflected in the main TiddlyDesktop window.

> Or consider the "advanced" button. As close as I can tell, the only thing
> that does is display a "reveal backups" button. How would I change the
> "advanced" button to the "reveal backups" button.

You can copy the code for the “reveal backups” button from the tiddler
$:/TiddlyDesktop/Settings and paste it into WikiListToolbar.

> Or change the colors?

Just as usual in TiddlyWiki: you can use the palette, or define your own custom
CSS.

> Or change the order in which the tiddlers are listed (which appears to be
> alphabetical)?

Open the “WikiList” tiddler, edit it, and scroll to the end. Then change the
<$list> widget inside the “wikilist” macro:

> <$list filter="[tag[wikilist]sort[title]!has[draft.of]]" emptyMessage="Add a
> ~TiddlyWiki file or folder to get started.
>
> Click the buttons above to browse, or drag and drop from your file
> Explorer/Finder" storyview="pop">

As you click around the backstage wiki and the content of the
$:/plugins/tiddlywiki/tiddlydesktop within it, and you’ll quickly see how the
pieces fit together, but feel free to ask any further questions here.

Best wishes

Jeremy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/FEB8B496-9393-48B7-8268-68D2B2583229%40gmail.com.