the solution to passing in parameters to macros is to use the macocall
widget

<$macrocall $name="diary" year={{!!title}}/>

I am quite busy at the moment so it will be some time until I can add extra
features.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0890497a-ea3a-424f-8152-6dda310f31ee%40googlegroups.com.