> I assume I'm not supposed to be CREATING a new tag and inserting my own
> variableName like this '{{variableName||$:/core/ui/TagTemplate}}'

that's how this work as I remember right. look at the page, there's the
"base_skeleton" tiddler (search in the sidebar search for base_skeleton)
that tiddler has an empty tag. if you create a tiddler with a tag like
$variable$ - you'll get such an empty tag. I think that's what the creator
did there

> It would be curious (to me) for tags to contain variables.

the variables get defined before, the skeleton tiddler gets used to put the
variables to the places where they should be after the new tiddler is
created

> As far as the "jump straight into edit mode for new tiddler", I think it
> has to do with:
>
>           if(this.newtiddlerEdit === "yes") {  this.dispatchEvent({type:
> "tw-edit-tiddler", tiddlerTitle: title});  }
>
> So I created a tiddler titled "this.newtiddlerEdit" with text of "yes" -
> but it does not work (yet)

this is the wrong approach, you can let this go

> All thoughts are appreciated.
>
> I know these buttons were created and shared - but I can't figure all the
> hooks to make them work.

you could try this:

<$vars tag="call">
<$newtiddler title=<<now "YYYY-0MM-0DD 0hh:0mm:0ss">>
skeleton="base_skeleton" edit="yes">New Phone Call</$newtiddler>
</$vars>

put this in a tiddler and create another tiddler called "base_skeleton"

in the "base_skeleton" tiddler create a tag $tag$    and save it

then try the button

BurningTreeC

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cc661ddf-09b9-4d9e-985a-d87a72ec6ae4%40googlegroups.com.