I have a pretty good idea how to debug almost any language by writing
functions calling the code

and adding  print statements to the code. But I'm unclear as to how I would
do this in TW.

I wanted to take a few tiddlers i don't understand and add a few print
statement to clarify

what is happening - is this possible?

If I take a maco I think what happens is that it returns some text which is

then rescanned - it would be nice to a get a trace of what get called and
what the

return values are (same for widgets and JS code)