On Monday, 19 March 2018 10:41:20 UTC+1, PMario wrote:

> On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 11:01:58 PM UTC+1, Joe Armstrong wrote:
>>

>> 4) Execute a loop
>>

> In TW everything, that needs looping is done with the <$list widget
> <https://tiddlywiki.com/#ListWidget>.
>
> It's main purpose is to iterate over a defined set of tiddlers.
> The set of tiddlers is defined using the filter
> <https://tiddlywiki.com/#Filters>-attribute. eg:
>
> <$list filter="one two three">
> <<currentTiddler>>,
> </$list>
>

> The "loop-variable" can be defined:
>
> <$list filter="one two three" variable="loop-var">
> <<loop-var>>,
> </$list>

You mean

    <? for i in ["one", "two", "three"] ?>
         ${i}
     <? end for ?>

> The list widget can be nested:
>
> <$list filter="one two three" variable="outer">
>   <$list filter="a b c" variable="inner">
>
>    <<outer>>-<<inner>>
>   </$list>
> </$list>
>

> Lists can be super complex. ... So these examples, only scratch the
> surface of the possibilities.

You mean

<? for i = ["one", "two","three"] ?>
   <? for j = ["a","b","c"] ?>
       ${i}-${j}
   <? end for ?>
<? end for ?>

Or

[ I ++ "-" ++ J || I<- ["one","two""three}, J <- ["a","b","c"]]

In a language which I am very familiar :-)

In my world this is not called "looping" it's called
a list-comprehension and is one of the corner stones of functional
programming
and is equivalent to a findall construct in Prolog (almost)

In yet another syntax this is

findall
   ${I} ++ "-"  ++ ${J}
such that
    I <- ["one", "two", "three"]

or something

I think a book (or a whatever) about TW has to explicitly build a bridge
between the TW syntax and the syntaxes with which the reader is familiar.

> have fun!

I am - this feels like learning smalltalk (scratch the surface and there is
a lot hidden underneath)

Cheers

/Joe

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/24fb28fa-b2f7-4f21-b213-dce87e817b64%40googlegroups.com.