Mark S. asked ...

> Perhaps with your background you could explain Zettelkasten. There seems
> to be an almost cult-like culture around a system of taking notes (by
> software or index cards). https://zettelkasten.de/ .

Mark S. asked me that interesting question in another thread, started by
Mat, comparing TW to other "similar software". I been thinking about Mark's
question. I wasn't sure if people here are interested in this, but then I
thought well, hey, they might be ...

"Zettelkästen" is just the German for "card indices" in general.
https://zettelkasten.de/ is a specific "Zettelkästen Methodology" derived
from the work done originally (on physical cards) by the brilliant prolific
sociologist and systems theorist Niklas Luhmann.

He was one of several social scientists who prefigured issues that would
come up in the development of software for "soft data" and "emergent
structure". The point being that in the social sciences, a lot of the time,
theories/patterns emerge during research, so you need flexibility--its not
like hard science which is more driven by strict prior hypotheses that have
clear "data slots"--nor is it like birth & death records, nor address books
etc. In short, social science (especially ideographic fieldwork) needs an
"open" way to record information.

The PRACTICAL issue for the Luhmann style Zettelkästeners, in software, was
(1) how to maintain the integrity of the record (the card) AND (2) relate
that record to other records (the cards) in an EMERGENT way. In other words
NOT be a strict database that only had determined prior slots (hypothesised
significant). At the time of emergence of such work it was a hot issue.

The "Zettelkästen Methodology" is interesting and clearly is still used to
good effect. Not so remarked upon, but significant, is that quite a lot of
the sense-making in it is EXTERNAL to the computer. Its about guesses
external to the data itself to find pattern.

Luhmann make two Zettelkästen (manual, physical) in his life, with
thousands of records each, and they informed and structured most all of his
voluminous writing. It worked. But I'm not convinced it worked without HIM
doing "in head" most of the cross-connection work.

Zettelkästen Methodology now looks a bit like a "blast from the past" ... I
mean the oft discussion of the vitality of "Tags" OVER "Topics/Categories"
is already a done deal on the net nowadays. So in that sense its a bit like
a Philosophy of Knowledge that's done it job already.

---

On the comparison of TiddlyWiki and Card Indices ... which OFTEN users
point to and celebrate ... well it works for SOME TiddlyWiki set up that
way. No harm in using that analogy. BUT the analogy quickly breaks down.

Card Index systems (& computer equivalents) are base on *the sacredness of
the record (Card)* whilst TiddlyWiki is based on the *equality of the
fragment (Tiddler)*. So what in the Zettelkästen Methodology is seen as a
"basic unit" (card), in TiddlyWiki might also be a card, but could also be
composed of fragments (Tiddlers), decomposed and reassembled multiple ways.

Zettelkästen Methodology also has no conceptual way of dealing with "the
software itself" and "the organisational system itself" being also equal
components. In Zettelkästen Methodology you have Cards, then an external
software framework to organise them. These are not distinct in TiddlyWiki.

IMO, a Tiddler is hardly an "index card" at all in any normal sense. Its
outstanding characteristic is its a CHAMELEON :-).

---

FWIW, to give some perspective to this issue, the "card analogy" actually
owes its greatest realisation in computing to stricter database structures.

The Index Card as an idea probably got its first airing in the 1640s in
Harrison's "The Ark Of Studies". Serious early application was by Linnaeus
to be able to organise the taxonomy of species in a flexible way where
records could be added and re-ordered at will (1760's). Then the Dewey
library card index system (1870's) was very significant, which was widely
adopted, with Index Cards beginning to be adopted widely for all sorts of
purposes--police records, doctors records, address "books" etc.

A big step towards computing was the development of index cards with
punched holes at their edges that were then "notched" into when the card
was in a "category". Say you had a thousand cards and only wanted to see
cards about "cats" ... you threaded a slim long knitting needle through the
"cat hole" and then you could lift off all the records that were not for
cats to just see cats (basic filtering). A bunch of different mechanical
systems for doing this were developed of varying degrees of sophistication.
These "Knitting Needle Machines" were conceptually important to the later
development of *relational databases*.

Extending from the needle hole idea, a next step was to replace the data
recorded on the body of the cards with punched holes on the card--the
"punch card"--made on a kind of typewriter. Data that previously were in
written language became holes. These could be analysed by mechanical
devices that fed the cards through a kind of pianola that notched up a
count for when there was a hole.

In turn, all this partly fostered punch-tape that in early "on-line"
computing WAS your computer program... you'd feed it into a machine and it
would transmit signals to a remote computer (they were all remote at the
start) according to the pattern of holes.

The Punch-Hole Index Card metaphorically matched BINARY thinking vital to
early computing to do with fundamental "gates" ... that could convey
information as "1" (hole), "0" (no-hole), or on computer as "signal on",
"signal off".

So, overall, the Card Index was pretty central to concepts of organised
knowledge first, and computer realisation of that knowledge, later. An
important social and technological bridge from the past to now.

But I don't think metaphorically TiddlyWiki has other than a quite generic
relationship to card indices. No more than many ordinary programs do.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/7587a70c-b308-49c3-8645-f76698606487%40googlegroups.com.