99% of the way there.  In addition to what I said before:

   - I added tabindex="1" to the div in ViewTemplate.  This makes it
   possible to select a view-mode tiddler.
   - I wrapped the div with: <$keyboard key="alt-W"
   message="tm-close-tiddler">

I also had to edit $:/config/Search/AutoFocus (shadow tiddler) and set it
to: false

I'm still not there.  Focus often winds up on the document body.  (Verified
via running some JavaScript in the browser console.)

I need to add an onFocus to the body, which does a setFocus to the first
story div.  The only way I know to do that would be to edit
$:/core/templates/tiddlywiki5.html
<http://localhost:8080/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Ftemplates%2Ftiddlywiki5.html> .

Can anyone suggest a "tiddlywiki style" way to shift focus from the
document body to the first story in the river?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/698630ac-589f-4cb8-81eb-3633985d4d57%40googlegroups.com.