On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 5:21:21 PM UTC+2, Mark S. wrote:

> I perceive the results-as-you-type thing as more of a toy -- not a
> usability development.

You can change it. There is a HiddenSetting
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#Hidden%20Settings:%5B%5BHidden%20Settings%5D%5D%20%5B%5BHidden%20Setting%3A%20Typing%20Refresh%20Delay%5D%5D%20%24%3A%2Fconfig%2FDrafts%2FTypingTimeout>that

defaults to 400ms. ... That means: If you stop typing for longer than 400ms
the draft tiddler will be stored. .. which may trigger a refresh of the
visible tiddlers involved. Typing a new character will reset the timeout.

You can set it to 10000 (= 10 seconds) or even higher. ....

> Not just TW, but anywhere it's used. It may make sense when it's attached
> to  a powerful back-end server database, but not so much when you have a
> local, non-indexed data source.

In the contrary. ... Every time a tiddler is saved, it will be synced with
the backend. .. If the backend is connected with a slow connection, you
don't want this behaviour at all.

> In the case of TW, it interferes with usability particularly on small
> devices. Re-rendering with each keystroke is another related problem that
> affects all TW's performance. I can only assume most users are not touch
> typists, have very powerful machines, have small TW's, or are using screen
> keyboards.

As I wrote. You can change the parameter.

Just my thoughts
-mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5ad6c031-5344-4cff-96f8-bbb50655e9a3%40googlegroups.com.