The purpose of the navigator widget is to respond to messages like tm-navigate,
tm-close-tiddler etc. by modifying the attached story river. The core page
template includes an instance of the navigator widget pointing at the usual
$:/StoryList and $:/HistoryList tiddlers.

The only reason to use the navigator widget is if you wish to target a story or
history list other than the defaults, such as when creating what the docs call
a substory.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/9B199570-1C18-4026-AF4A-C74131690319%40gmail.com.