In order to make local images available you have to tell the server where
to look on the hard drive. In this case you need to make sure in the Bob
settings you have an entry that looks like this:

"filePathRoot": "C:\Users\Ed\TiddlyWiki\"

but replace the 'C:\Users\Ed\TiddlyWiki\' part with the path to where you
have the executable.

Then the files being served have to have './file/' added to the front of
the urls so your example would become

[img[./file/subdirectory/subdirectory/image.jpg]]

the prefix is needed otherwise you can't serve multiple wikis.

After the same setup you can use the _canonical_uri method using the same
url.

There is some more about it here
https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob/blob/master/Configuration.md and here
https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob/blob/master/Documentation/Serving%20Files.tid

The documentation isn't really written with people who aren't a bit
familiar with servers in mind. I am working on improving it when I have
time. I think that rather than features I should focus mainly on improving
the documentation for Bob.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/efc7711e-6bf6-444c-a2ce-69b7040ee5f3%40googlegroups.com.