Heath,

I will need a little time to fully wrap my head around what you are asking
and how to implement it in TiddlyWiki. Unfortunately it does not yet make
sense to me (perhaps my own limitation)

Here are some items that may clarify enough for you to find an answer.

Rather than say "Subdocuments DOC_A_A, DOC_A_B, both of which should
inherit the tags from DOC_A,"
I would say "Subdocuments DOC_A_A, DOC_A_B, both of which should be tagged
with the tiddler name DOC_A"

To me a TableOfContents is effectively a hierarchy of tags, Not a list of
tiddlers tagged with a particular tag. SubTiddlers are tagged with their
parent. So the parent recognises its children.
However you can have additional parents naming the same children and
additional lists or hierarchies due to a tag.

The TOC macro is special in so far as it builds a tree starting at a root
tiddler. However its quite easy to simultaneously tag a group of tiddlers
with another tag to create a list.

This organises you notes at a document level

DOC
     DOC_A
        DOC_A_A + TAG_1
        DOC_A_B +TAG_1
     DOC_B + TAG_1
     DOC_C

A TOC on DOC_A with give you all its subordinates
A TOC on DOC with give you all its subordinates (all Documents)

What is TAG_A ? Lets use a new Tag TAG_1
So using this New TAG_1 it will list
TAG_1
     DOC_A_A
     DOC_A_B
     DOC_B

If you get creative you can create a TOC of All Documents but only those
tagged TAG_1

Best Wishes
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5741d784-1b2b-45b6-b590-0bce6b343c16%40googlegroups.com.