If it's just the long title used as a tag that's a problem, why not use the
caption field (or any other short designator field).

e.g.

\define mymacro2(caption) <<toc $caption$>>

<$macrocall $name="mymacro2" caption={{!!caption}}/>

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/21072422-92b4-4e8c-bc09-fd4b64885916%40googlegroups.com.