On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 3:31:18 AM UTC+2, Diego Mesa wrote:

> This is a good idea - but my concern is not so much about how to create
> and ensure I have a unique title. Its more that these methods cause me to
> question the entire *idea* and *meaning* of a tiddler title under these
> circumstances

On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 3:31:18 AM UTC+2, Diego Mesa wrote:

> This is a good idea - but my concern is not so much about how to create
> and ensure I have a unique title. Its more that these methods cause me to
> question the entire *idea* and *meaning* of a tiddler title under these
> circumstances

When you start with TiddlyWiki, the tiddler title is "plain text". ...
That's a good thing, because it's simple.

 - Plain text titles tend to be long. ...
 - That's why they may not fit nicely into TOCs
 - So  why we introduced the "caption" field.

That's a good solution, but it already increases complexity. ... Users need
to know about the caption field, and where the core UI automagically uses
it.
eg: lists, tabs, ... and so on.

At the moment that's as far as "the core UI" goes.
---------------------------------------

Using plugins, you can go further. ... Using plugins is a "user decision"
... So advanced users know, what they are doing ;)

The uni-link plugin <https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/uni-link/> allows
you to use the "caption" and "subtitle"-field to be shown instead of a
[[tiddler link]] without breaking backwards compatibility.

The alias-function goes even further, it allows you to reference a tiddler,
by a completely different alias-name.

It abstracts away the "tiddler-title", by *signifacally increasing
complexity*. eg:

 - a lot more documentation is needed
 - a new [[link syntax|?]] is needed ... (still not breaking backwards
compatibility)
 - new javscript code is needed to speed things up.
 - ViewTemplate extensions are needed to identify alias tiddler (see
alias-footer)
 - new link-colors are introduced to make alias links visible for users
 - ...

At the moment that's as fare as uni-link goes --------------------

Creating a new theme can go even further: eg: slant-01
<https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/slant-01/> is an opinionated theme.

I use it as a starting point for my TWs (+ a lot of my other plugins
<https://wikilabs.github.io/>)

 - It scales down the tiddler title in the view-template, to make it less
dominant.
 - This allows me to use real h1-headings in the tiddler content.
    - This makes tiddler content reusable
    - Especially in combination with the new upcomming
tv-adjust-heading-level
<https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#tv-adjust-heading-level%20Variable>
variable it will be a "killer"
 - The tiddler title is nothing but an identifier anymore.
 - Once it is defined, it will never be changed again
   - having good tiddler names is hard !!!!!!
   - that's just a convention.
 - my tiddler titles need to be human readable (so UUIDs are a no go!)
 - my tiddler titles (should) create nice URL links.
   - eg: https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/slant-01/#01-slant-01-theme
   - this rule will be broken, if the use-case needs it!

In combination with uni-link and the alias function I think it's almost
possible to eliminate tiddler titles.

BUT

to fully eleimnate them, the theme would need to be expanded quite a bit.
... Which is *complex *;)

just some thougts

have fun!
mario