Hi, I'm back with some updates on this front:

I'm splitting SelectMode into "Story" and "Sidebar" Modes.
It can already be tested on selectmode.tiddlyspot.com
The new sidebar mode lets you cycle through the sidebar tabs and enables
specific actions for the currently open tab. At the moment only the
"Recent" tab has actions defined (selecting a tiddler from the list and
opening it in the story river) - but I'll add actions for the other tabs,
too

Activate sidebar-mode using "alt-Right" or "alt-Backquote" (which is
alt-Odiaeresis on my german keyboard)
In sidebar-mode, use "T" to cycle through the tabs
In the recent tab, use "J" or "Left" to select the tiddler above the
selected one and "Backquote" or "Right" to select the one after the
currently selected one. "Enter" opens the selected tiddler.
Note that those shortcuts are only enabled when the "Recent" tab is
selected, which allows for using the same keys for the different tabs, but
with different actions.

BTC

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/15886647-277b-4625-bb22-e0b58640089f%40googlegroups.com.