I think that the easiest way to do it would be to give each image a unique
class name, or each group that is supposed to be updated on a specific
interval the same class name, then use getElementsByClassName instead of by
tag.

I think that an alternative method for doing this that may be a bit more
flexible for your future plans is to make a daemon process in a startup
module that triggers once ever n minutes and then runs a script then. The
startup actions in the core is an example and the trigger actions plugin I
made does a similar thing but the trigger is a change to a tiddler instead
of a timer.

My trigger actions plugin is here if you want it as a
reference https://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/TriggerActions/
I am not sure if there is a way to use it directly. Eventually I need to
rewrite it using the same logic as the startup actions in the core, but it
works.

If the data comes from server-side components that you can access than you
could use websockets to update it but that may take a bit more work. It
would give you much more control over how and when things up date though.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3c061555-be67-456e-ab0e-c43ad61ee954%40googlegroups.com.