Mark please forgive my ignorance, but how would I implement
sort:"!tag[Example]" in my table of contents?

As I said in my first message, everything is tagged, so I think your
suggestion should work. But I do not use "sort" anywhere in the structure.
My table of contents is made up of continuing levels of sub-tags. Where I
have used code, I have used: <div class="tc-table-of-contents"> and the
List field.

Am I explaining myself poorly?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5ef66ce0-017a-4664-8557-edb84d7f0481%40googlegroups.com.