Tony, thank you for explaining. Just to make sure I have understood your
explanation, your idea with the macros was that I have a set of different
table of contents to display different levels of information? That is
certainly not something I had considered, and I will probably need to spend
some time exploring the idea at a later date.

Before I get too distracted though, do you think there is any way I might
be able just to stop chosen tags from appearing in my table of contents?

I am beginning to suspect I may have asked for something much more complex
than I realized.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/88f61605-5402-4452-8e1b-e91ec932c94a%40googlegroups.com.