Hi Tony and Mark, thanks for helping.

I think it was reboot + cruft removal for the win. At least so far the
responsiveness is back to normal.  Cruft removal brings the folder size
down to 35 Mb instead of 12Mb.

I was curious about the images to text/media ratio.  I have a combined
total of about 21 megs in image files, mp3 files, and config tiddlers.  The
other 14 M are all basically text tiddlers, and 14 Mb is a lot less than
the 120 of yesterday but still pretty substantial.  The largest two text
tiddlers are 188kb and 51kb.  The larger one is a long string of notes I
took in Zotero, copypastaed into TW classic about 2009, and imported into
TW5 when I upgraded from classic.  It is all text with some formatting as
far as I can see. The next one is all notes on a particular book.  I do a
lot of quotes with comments from books and articles so I don't have to dig
out the original every time I write "real" stuff from my notes, so it is
not like I type everything.  It is probably a couple of volumes worth of
linear text but not an encyclopedia.  I write for a living and have used TW
since 2006 for my notes and ideas, so there really is a lot of text.

I'd be curious to know where the max memory settings are for Chrome, I
think FF has a setting in the regular settings menu to only load pages on
focus, which saves a lot of memory.  On Chrome, I use an extension called "Tiny
Suspender
<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tiny-suspender/bbomjaikkcabgmfaomdichgcodnaeecf?hl=en-US>"

which will suspend the tab after x minutes, replacing it in memory with a
tiny URI file that brings back the page from the web on focus.  It can be
turned off per page, which is a good idea on TW5 because it is writable and
gives a warning everytime Tiny Suspender goes into action, which is a
pain.  I seldom run out of memory and know immediately when I have.  After
a reboot, loading all my Chrome pages w/ tiny suspender active on
everything but gmail and TW5, I only use up 4.5 gigs.  Even if the whole
120 megs is loading, it should be fine once it is in, but as I said, I
don't think everything has to load at once on Node.js, just the core and
whatever tiddlers are open, which is one of the reasons I use it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/fa8027a0-8cb6-4f6a-9475-44fbb1d0d0ab%40googlegroups.com.