This seems to work for me.

\define variable-test(var)
<$list filter="[[$var$]] +[is[variable]]" emptyMessage="''$var$'' -
Undefined variable or macro">
</$list>
\end

1. <<variable-test list-links>>

2. <<variable-test list-linkss>>

It uses a single line return with nothing else in the *results area* before
the closing tag </$list>  to give an empty looking result. I don't know if
this is an undocumented feature, or if it's a bug that will be fixed at
some point causing this macro to break down. If that bothers you, just use
an unused macro such as <<emptyMessage>> in the *result area*.

Regards

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a5197e96-0444-49d0-a96c-d8c36945d326%40googlegroups.com.