I thought the default behaviour is that the last clicked tiddler title in
the sidebar causes the story river to scroll until that tiddler is at the
top of the browser window.
However if you do not  have enough tiddlers open for a scroll to take place
(all open tiddlers can fit on one page and there is no scroll bar at the
edge of the side bar), then no movement takes place.

Still you have a point that a highlight over the last clicked item on the
lists in the side bar is a useful sign.
The same is specially true for the last clicked item in a Table of Contents.

I believe this has been asked for before for the Table of Contents, but I
don't remember any further discussion on the topic.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b4568a0e-07bb-40b5-84a8-57ac01992f44%40googlegroups.com.