passingby,

A little convoluted, but this works:

.u { list-style-type:upper-alpha; }
.l { list-style-type:lower-alpha; }
.r { list-style-type:upper-roman; }
.n { list-style-type: none;   margin: 0;   padding: 0; }

*.u How
**.l about
***.r that!
****.n Your
***.r fancy
**.l list
*.u  works

Becomes:
A. How
     a. about
          I.  that!
                  Your
          II. fancy
     b. list
B. works

The WikiText interpretation of a period charachter after the ** *takes what
follows the period as a "class" attribute.

This:
 *.u How
Becomes:
<li class="u">How<ul>