Hi Mohammad,

Is it possible to have a change-log tiddler to populate the changes
> including issues fixed and new features.

The next release will have a change-log in the demo! Great idea!

Hi @TiddlyTweeter,

Mentats in Frank Herbert's book "Dune" are humans whose job it is to mimic
> computers after computers were banned

Yes! I've been rereading Dune with my wife and it has been on my mind. I
think the ubiquity of computers has made humans think more like computers.
But then there's TiddlyWiki and other software that tries to make computers
that can structure information more like a human. I find this tension
pretty interesting. We are remaking each other in the other's image. Mentat
is supposed to be an extension of TiddlyWiki's philosophy of radical
configurability into UI.

Hi Jan,

it took me some time to understand the logic of Mentat

Yes. I'm finding this to be a recurring problem. The docs and demos need a
lot of work. I haven't been able to communicate the ideas effectively, I
think.

the relative logic of the $/windows works great but the Mentat space seems
> to be limited to vh, it would be practical if it was unlimited at least to
> the bottom

Part of the idea of the volant/mentat group of plugins is that every aspect
of the ui becomes encapsulated in configurable containers. If you think of
the classic storyview, you get a scrolling container (the viewport) that
holds the storyriver and a separate scrolling container that holds the
sidebar (which does not scroll as you scroll the storyriver in the
viewport). Mentat tries to make that explicit and configurable. So you now
have a sidebar tiddler, which you can position wherever you like. But you
also have the story river container in the form of a story window tiddler.
If you want, you can position a window tiddler to fill the whole screen (or
the whole screen apart from the sidebar tiddler). It will scroll and behave
just like the classic story river.

All that said, Engine and Mentat have been elaborations on the fixed volant
functionality (think the $:/Volant tag). Absolute volant functionality has
not be explored yet (think $:/VolantAbsolute). It is certainly possible
that later plugins will change everything.

it is a Luxury that a $:/window can contain multiple Tiddlers. I think it
> would be easier to understand if each Tiddler would open in a new $:/Window.

I want window tiddlers to be position-able story rivers. So it makes sense
to me that navigating to a tiddler will open it an existing story river.
That said, hold shift when you click a link and it will open it in a new
story window.  This does not work for creating new tiddlers however. That
doesn't use the same navigation mechanism. Sorry.

it would be great if a new Tiddler could be added  to a $:/Window and
> reordered by drag and drop.

You're in luck! Drag and drop the window tabs at the top of each window to
reorder the story river in that window. Also drag the tab to the window tab
bar in another window to open it there too. Unfortunately, as yet, the tab
that you drag to a another window will remain open in the original window
as well. This pull request #3710
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/3710/> on github would make
it possible for the tab to be automatically removed when dragged away. But
we aren't there yet.

-it would be nice if the Names of the contained Tiddler were visible in the
> windowbar and if you could configure the standart name from $:/Window to a
> subject to be able to store multiple Mentat-Pinnboards (like
> subjectxy/TiddlerName) generated by the prefix.

I'm not entirely sure what this means. The window name issue is a real one.
The windowbar is supposed to mimic the task bar on a desktop. Icons are
used rather than names, on a desktop. I don't have a good solution for this
yet. I'm unsure about using a contained tiddler title. Since story windows
are story rivers, which tiddler do you use as the name? And I don't
entirely understand that next part about pinboards. Have you checked out
the Layout and Session functionality in the Mentat tab? That may or may not
have something to do with what you're referring to.

Why do the $:/window-Tiddlers have this sort of historylist. They seem to
> work without even if you delete it. It makes them  a little unpleasant in
> the normal storyriver. Could this simply be omitted?

They have a history list for the same reason the classic story river does.
Inside each window tiddler, the default storyviews hold sway. If they make
use of a history list ($:/HistoryList) I wanted to make sure one was
available for each window, which is, itself, a self-contained story river.
Full refreshes should clear that though. As for opening window tiddlers in
the normal storyriver: I don't entirely understand what that's for. Could
you give me a bit more information about what you're doing? I don't really
understand the use case; so I don't know how to design for that.

PS: Deciphering Names...Mentat is clear now ... is Volant inspired by
> Mikhail *Bulgakov's The Master and Margerita?*

It's from Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. I've heard The Maste and
Margerita is an interesting one, but I've never read it, unfortunately.

Best wishes,

admls

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5e407ba8-df0b-479a-a8fd-24a8681ea34a%40googlegroups.com.