Perhaps a Tabbed Internal Table of Contents
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#Table-of-Contents%20Macros%20(Examples)> could
satisfy the first half of your requirement, viewing the tiddlers.

Make a tiddler:
title:My Character List
text:
<$macrocall
    $name="toc-tabbed-internal-nav"
    tag="Character"
    selectedTiddler="$:/temp/toc/My Character List"
    unselectedText="<p>Select a topic in the table of contents. Click the
arrow to expand a topic.</p>"
    missingText="<p>Missing tiddler.</p>"
/>

Save the tiddler and you have your list of characters on the left, and
clicking the link opens the TEXT of the tiddler on the right.

Now we have to figure out how to make them editable - I believe Mark S. has
shown something similar somewhere.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5e38c547-aa73-4bcf-98ee-a1f0965d4209%40googlegroups.com.