I am thinking along these line.

<$list filter="[tag[sometag]is[missing]]">
It is missing . Show a button to create a tiddler here
</$list>
<$list filter="[tag[sometag]is[tiddler]]">
It exists. Show a button to open the tiddler.
</$list>

The second logic works but the first one does not because the list does not
'run' when the check fails.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0a67771a-bd06-4e8a-bfad-9d881dda9c68%40googlegroups.com.