I *think* I figured out a way for it to work either way.  It requires using
something like tobibeer's eval plugin or another plugin that lets you do
mathematical operations in a filter.  I'm using tobibeer's eval for my
example.

First make a list of your tags.  Within that list widget, do the following:

1) Use a set widget to get a count of the tiddlers with that tag and store
it in a variable

2) Use a list widget that uses the range[] list operator to generate a
range of numbers, making sure you use the variable from step 1 as the
argument for the range[] operator

3) Use a set widget to contain a modified index number.  We'll modify this
number by adding 1000 to the number generated by the range[] operator.
Then we'll remove the 1 prefix from the result.  This is what should happen:

    1 ---> 1001 ---> 001
  37 ---> 1037 ---> 037
837 ---> 1837 ---> 837

4) Next, use either a set or list widget with a filter that gets all of
your tiddlers with the specified tag, then use the nth[] operator with the
value we got from the range[] operator in step 2 (not the one we got from
step 3, idk if it will work).  That should get you the corresponding item.

I can't guarantee this will work as I don't have a comparable set of
tiddlers to work with to test this.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e377faf4-b88d-4552-bd3e-cada464fdc61%40googlegroups.com.