I don't think

sort[middlename]sort[givenname]

can be depended on to sort correctly. It might work occasionally ,
depending on your browser implementation. I think for
a reliable sort you have to use multiple list widgets, each nesting the
inner one as shown in the original discussion.

My solution would be to make a button that would allow you to create a
"sortby" field for all your entries, and then sort by that field. This
would of course
mean that you have to remember to press the "Sort" button to refresh your
list from time to time. For some reason, the idea that you have to
press a button before getting a result, something familiar to anyone who's
ever had to refresh a web page or calculations in a spreadsheet,
seems to invoke pure horror among some individuals ;-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/814188e3-da51-4be1-a7e3-f1d944ffdd41%40googlegroups.com.