Specifics, which I realize I left out:

I have tocP plugin installed. In this case, I had two instances, one right
after the other, and I changed one to be the usual TOC process (class
="tc-table...") so that I could fix my old style TOC and change to the
parent based one. "tocP" is a required class for the plugin, but "toc" is
not for the core TOC. I forgot, and deleted the P to leave "toc
tc-table-..." only I accidentally the P and the space.

And voila.

Now I'm keeping the numbered one.

So, if anyone wants to sort out how/why this works, it's probably somewhere
in the tocP plugin...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/67f08bdf-f31d-406f-9e70-ed84801d8496%40googlegroups.com.