I suspect that differences with how inbound vs outbound connections are
made may be responsible. I have run into similar things with other projects
where there are seemingly random restrictions on which direction
connections can be made in.

In my experience NAT, particularly in corporate networks, is always a huge
pain. It may be the browser inside the NAT isn't allowed to make the
connection to outside the network by itself, but when the external server
tries to update it has a connection in both directions and can punch a hole
in the NAT.

I am not sure that actually works, but it is my suspicion.

I should see about adding a feature to the server that if it doesn't hear
an incoming web socket connection from a connection that has made a GET
request after a second or two it will try to initiate the web socket
connection on the server side.