Your example may have worked if you had used $(currentTiddler)$. The
$(variable)$ syntax is used when you have an external variable that you
want
to insert in a string.  The $argument$ syntax is used when you are passing
an argument to a macro.

If all you want to do is create a unique tiddler path for each macro
instance, you might consider using the qualify macro
(https://tiddlywiki.com/#qualify%20Macro )

Good luck!