Hi

> For something I did recently, I used messages, which are cought and
> processed by widgets surrounding the UI that implements the
> functionality.

Andreas advice is good. TW allows you to add event properties via widget
attributes and then you can access them from within your handler code
defined in your "message catcher widget". I always use this approach
when doing some difficult manipulation stuff and the write the result
back to a field using the wiki.addTiddler function.

-Felix