On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 2:17:36 PM UTC-7, Mat wrote:

> If possible, I propose a harmonization of the wikitext syntax for applying
> styles and classes with that of invocating macros.
> Currently we have @@.myClass Here's my text@@ (ref
> <http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#Styles%20and%20Classes%20in%20WikiText>)
> which as far as I can tell is an arbitrary "one trick pony" in our wikitext
> syntax. I propose the optional syntax using:
> <<.myClass Here's my text>>
> and
> <<background-color:red; Here's my text>>
> Possibly with />> at end instead. And/or to allow something like this
> <<.myClass>> Here's my text <</.myClass>>
>
> Blasphemy? Idiocy? Non-sense?

I'm not sure where the need is.  The current syntax supports both
   @@.class.class.class ...@@
and
   @@attr:value;attr:value;...@@
usage.  In addition, the content inside the @@..@@ block can be *any* wiki
text -- including macros.  In contrast, your proposed "macro-like" syntax
would neccessarily be limited to not being able to embed macros in the
content, and would also confuse the usage for *real* macros.

You can even nest the @@...@@ syntax, as long as there is an intervening
element to isolate them, like this:

@@.someclassname
//@@font-color:red;THIS IS RED AND ITALIC@@//
@@

Notice how the italics (//) surround the inner @@..@@ block.  This is the
trick to isolating the inner block.  Of course, you could use any
'containing' syntax you prefer, such as bold ('') or underline (__)... and,
if you don't really want *any* extra formatting applied, you can even use a
*made-up* element block, such as <foobar>...</foobar>, like this:

@@.someclassname
<foobar>@@font-color:red;THIS IS RED ONLY@@</foobar>
@@

The only change/addition to syntax that I would like is if there was a
diffentiation between the 'open' and 'close' delimiters, so that nesting
could be done without needing an intervening element.  Something like "@@("
and ")@@" might work... e.g.:

@@(.someclassname@@(font-color:red;THIS IS RED)@@)@@

your thoughts?