Folks,

I have being toying with the idea of developing a solution for Document
Management model for multi-user TiddlyWikis.

I am voicing it here because some of you are better qualified to do this,
and I will not have time until March/April.this year

The idea is to provide a check in / check out process so a given user can
take edit control of a tiddlywiki, Basically serial multi-user, I think
this will suit most applications.

As far as I can see the only mechanism we need that I do not know how to do
is the ability to test if the source wiki file or node has changed since
use.

Here is a quick brainstorm of the model

   - A Tiddlywiki has document management activated (Plugin/Core)
   - Go to the URL or file and open it, *assume not checked out*
   - System: If Document management activated, Record the wikis last
   modified date at load
   - The Wiki opens "read only view"
   - the user selects and or registers their user name (also store as
   cookie or local browser value your user name) also contact info in wiki
   - The user requests checkout to edit (including description and expected
   checkin time/date)
   - Check to see if the wikis current wiki or file last modified
   - If date has not changed
   -   Save the wiki with the current users checkout details
         -   (This lets others know who has the document checked out)
      -   Show edit view of wiki
      - If date has changed
   -   Reject checkout "file has being edited since load
      -   Reload to see changes

Go to the URL or file and open it, *assume checked out*
If checked out to this user show edit view, or allow user to be provided,
if not indicate who it is checked out to (their contact details provided),
read only mode

At check in

   - A file version owned by the checked out to user will be the winner
   even if others edited and saved under it.
   - A Server Version will simply not allow users without checkout to save
   changes, and checked out can

Other features
Auto checkin everyday? (on next opening)
Auto checkin and manual check back out so document is not left checked out
Ability to request checkout in separate tiddler file?
Password optional, set at first registration (save in browser) so harder
for others to checkout in a different name.
Option to send email to request checkout, or advise checking to someone
requesting checkout

This model assumes co-operative users and does not stop hacking to break
it, but most of the time it is just users trying to work together.

What are your thoughts?

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/a8d2e281-f2a2-4c4c-ae3f-2ca5297da6a2%40googlegroups.com.