I've tried firefox, chromium and TiddlyDesktop

chromium is a bit faster than ff

TD throws javascript errors when trying to create Tiddlers - because of its
framed nature maybe?
But TD wouldn't be the target anyway

For desktop browsers there should be some hidden settings somewhere to
prevent them from throttling background tabs
I'll make some detective work

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/f1896939-6bfb-450d-812f-d720816ecb42%40googlegroups.com.