Dear enthusiasts especially Jeremy,

Having made the move to TW5 over the recent year or so, and sharing the
journey towards alternative savers etc... the desire for "federation" and
some of my own work in this regard, I had an idea the other night, and I
wanted to raise it to see if is is novel and sane or some version of it may
be so. It is merely a concept, yet it is based on a lot of what I have seen
and used of late ,with TiddlyWiki5. Pleasde provide some feed back or let
me know of prior work.

As you know TiddlyWiki is a master of Tiddlers, The various saving methods
are about storing tiddlers and Node and NoteSelf store these in database(s)
or we can save them in the single HTML model. Tiddlers allow this radical
customisation of the user interface along with providing a rich ecosystem
on which to build solutions.

TiddlyWiki is in fact both the Front End Gui and the backend server in one.
In fact in some ways the server based implementations do in some ways
separate the front and back already, Bob does this even more so with
messages to the server.

What if TiddlyWiki X (an imagined future version) took this a lot more
seriously?

Imagine if every tiddlywiki could act as a back-end to any other
tiddlywiki, this would allow one tiddly wiki to store its tiddlers in one
or more other tiddlywikis. Or another TiddlyWiki may host more than one
other TiddlyWiki's tiddlers for it.

That is the front and backend functions could be sub/divided internally and
externally.

Some may immediately see the potential of this but here are a few examples;

   - We could add security (authentication) the the connections to other
   wikis rather than for each tiddler. If you have not authenticated you cant
   see the tiddlers being served.
   - Maybe every tiddler is owned by a wiki and only it can change that
   tiddler however the owner can pass ownership to another wiki. If designed
   correctly the ownership could be passed back. The receiving wiki could
   choose if it wants to accept or reject the tiddler. This may be different
   if its a macro, plugin or style-sheet.
   - Otherwise a wiki can ask another to store its tiddlers for it, either
   with an encryption key or without thus permitting access or denial of
   access of the tiddlers by the containing wiki.
   - Containing wikis can consolidate tiddlers from multiple wikis, and
   display them as well.
   - A wiki can choose to use an external wikis tiddlers through a pseudo
   import process and the external wiki owns and can update them if permitted.
   - One TiddlyWiki may host tiddlers on behalf of another wiki through an
   encrypted exchange, but may even host tiddlers in an encrypted form such
   that the server Wiki cant even look inside the tiddler, just serve them.
   - Other front ends could be designed to interrogate the tiddler server,
   like display a single tiddler content etc...

In this model there would be no contention for tiddlers, as the ownership
exchange process handles this however we could pass a tiddlers ownership to
a server, which can be set up to respond with actions to transform the
tiddler and return it or another back to the original owner.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/712f0a17-f1d4-4c94-8ddc-9789ab6593dd%40googlegroups.com.