TJ,

Have you reviewed https://tiddlywiki.com/dev/ ? especially the architecture
etc...

You wonder "about how much of it is designed and implemented" - all of it I
would think. TW5 is Built on top of the earlier tw classic which has now
being around 10+ years and is quite mature.

Of critical note is almost, if not all, that TW does is visible inside
every copy of TW itself. If you look into the $:/core and its subtiddlers,
the tiddler idea is used from near the very beginning.

A word of warning, TiddlyWiki is so adaptable it easily becomes an
obsession, along with presenting almost infinite possibilities, and as a
result novel and expansive possibilities are often discussed and many
implemented. It is a firmament of innovation and engages user level through
to deep coder input.

You question will no doubt be answered by someone with a deeper coding
experience to me but my point is the answer may already be sitting in your
empty copy.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/cc5c27cc-e2bf-4737-aaf6-ec483bffd7f0%40googlegroups.com.