On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 8:22 AM Brian Theado <brian.the...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been making slow progress with this.
>
> I wrote additional sections:
>
> Widget attributes tutorial part II
> 3rd party library tutorial part I
> 3rd party library tutorial part II
>
> I also improved some of the examples of the previous sections.
>
> I still haven't written about child widgets. I also haven't covered the
> difficult topic of how to get the 3rd party library code suitable for
> but it won't be comprehensive as it is a large topic.
>
> See the update at https://btheado.github.io/tw-widget-tutorial/
>
> Stefano,
>
> > great work and greatly needed. Can't wait to read the 3rd party library
> tutorial!
>
> I would guess based on your other threads that you are already past the
> point where the 3rd party library tutorials would help you. Also based on
> those threads, I doubt what I've written so far would have helped you much.
> One difficulty you faced was how to get 3rd party code suitable for loading
> and I haven't written anything on that yet. Another difficulty was related
> to arranging files on the file system such that node.js would pick them up
> as plugins. This topic I don't plan to cover at all as I see that topic
> being orthogonal to writing widget code.

Hi Brian,

thanks for the tutorials, I have already learned a few things from them I
didn't know before. You are right that I am almost done with my external
library widget plugin, and I am working on a write-up of the process that
led me there, but that does not make less of a newbie to this fascinating
TW world.

In particular, there is an issue I have not been able to solve yet, and I
hope you may help---where do I look to find examples of a callback function
that would allow the calling code to tell the external library  to save its
data?
I think in a previous exchange you suggested to take a look at the
Codemirror plugin, but I could not find where the mechanism is implemented.
I guess it is because I am not really sure what I am looking for. Your
tutorial on the refresh mechanism does a great job of explaining how a
widget manages to keep itself in sync with the underlying tiddler. It is
the reverse procedure that is still baffling to me. In particular, is
complete sync the only option---sending back a call from the widget back to
the tiddler after every single update? That may not be feasible in case the
external library works on on  its own internal representation of the
underlying tiddler data and it may be expensive to convert back and forth
(as it is in my case). I am thinking a simpler "updateTiddlerOnExit" method
to call before the widget is destroyed would be more appropriate, but I
haven't found out how to manage this kind of tiddler-->widget communication.

Cheers,

Stefano

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/CAJODLwYdoH0_K%3Dwn7DfxDRN%2ByrnvPxMsW2bnJppTxyocaab-iQ%40mail.gmail.com.