On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:13:56PM +0100, Martin Koegler wrote:
> I'm looking for a VNC variant with builtin encryption support (no SSH
> tunnel) supporting Unix/Java/Windows.
>
> tightvnc/realvnc are "dead" - the only relevant successor seems to be
> tigervnc, which lacks encryption support.
>
> So, are there any (concrete) plans for adding encryption support?
>
> If not, I'll probably port the TLS/X509 tunnling type patches from
> http://e9925248.users.sourceforge.net/ to tigervnc.
>
> One year ago, the biggest oposition against these patches was, that
> they use gnutls and not NSS. I don't have enough knowlege about NSS
> (and currently not enough time to aquire it) to port the patches to
> NSS. So I'll stick with gnutls.
>
> I intend to publish the resulting version. I see two options:
> 1) merge them into the tigervnc code base
> 2) resurrect vencrypt project and publish them there
>
> I would like to avoid option 2 - there are enough VNC variants out
> there; but if gnutls is a no-go, I will have to go this way.
>
> Merging a gnutls based version does not mean, that tighervnc has to
> stick with gnutls forever. If there is somebody really interessted in
> NSS, he can port tigervnc from gnutls to NSS.
>
> Comments?

Hi Martin,

since last year I changed my verdict about gnutls based encryption.
Main reason is simple, there is no manpower to implement NSS based
solution right now.

But there is one issue that bothers me - would you like to
add gnutls to tigervnc repository? I really dislike this approach, I
would rather see (Windows) users downloading gnutls from
http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.