On 03/02/10 19:14, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:14:57 +0100
> ti...@piments.com wrote:
>
>> What I built:
>>
>> x86-64 build using ubuntu source pkgs for xorg-xserver copied onto the
>> tigervnc-1.0.0.tar.gz tree.
>
> Note that the 1.0.0 release did not have SIMD acceleration for x86_64,
> so you might want to try checking out a copy from svn. Or building it
> on a 32-bit machine.

Thanks ,
  I pulled trunk but it does not seem to have all the configure and make
files . I could just copy them across one at a time from 1.0.0 but how
should I get the proper build structure? What am I missing?

>> The bugs:
>>
>> 1. This works pretty well but the vnc server sends 1366 x1366 . Nearly
>> the double of the correct size , the extra being a black areas below the
>> desktop image in the client window.
>
> What component are you using here? I'm assuming x0vncserver or
> libvnc.so as you're referring to :0. Sounds like the latter though.
>
> We rewrote a lot of that code to get randr support, but it was more or
> less only tested with Xvnc. I don't think anyone here has time to look
> at it though, but you could have a look at it yourself if you feel up
> for it. Relevant sections are vncHooksRandRSetConfig() in vncHooks.cc
> and XserverDesktop() in XserverDesktop.cc. Those are the two places
> where it gets the screen size.

thanks for the pointers , I'll have a look at what's going on in there
once I have it compiled.

>> 2. The F8 connection information shows an estimated bandwidth of 20000
>> kb/s . This must not be testing the right thing. The link via internet
>> is about 380 kB/s on remote and and only 88kB/s on local. 20Mb/s must be
>> looking at localhost on remote.

Not a problem , I use -Autoselect=0

> The bandwidth detection is a bit flaky. Nobody has had the time to
> figure out why though and fix it. It works best when there is a lot of
> data flowing.
>
>> 3. I have to use compression on the ssh link to achieve reasonable
>> performance. In this context 24b colour is a pretty sluggish but
>> functional. 256 colours is usable provided there's not animated content.
>>
>> Starting ssh without -C , it takes about 2 minutes [sic] to redraw the
>> desktop.
>>

> !
>
> Something must be horribly wrong there. Is it eating a lot of CPU on
> the client or server when doing this? Even if it's picking a high
> bandwidth option (because of the misdetection) then it should only be a
> matter of seconds at most to redraw a screen.

Not on client at least, I'll get back to this once I have a clean build
from trunk.

Many thanks for the extra information.