On 11/15/2010 08:47 PM, Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 02:27:22AM +0700, Antoine Martin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was running some automated builds with some new compile options
>> (mostly unnecessary - see separate email):
>> ./build-xorg -version 7.4 build --enable-glx --enable-glx-tls
>> --disable-config-hal --disable-config-udev
>> --with-default-font-path=/usr/share/fon
>> ts/X11/misc
>>
>> And it failed to link Xvnc in xorg/xserver/hw/vnc with:
>> /usr/bin/ld: ../../glx/.libs/libglx.a(glxdriswrast.o): undefined
>> reference to symbol 'dlopen@@GLIBC_2.1'
>> /usr/bin/ld: note: 'dlopen@@GLIBC_2.1' is defined in DSO /lib/libdl.so.2
>> so try adding it to the linker command line
>> /lib/libdl.so.2: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> I managed to build it by simply adding: -lpthread -ldl
>> Not sure where the correct location for this is...
>> (XSERVER_SYS_LIBS ?)
>>
>> And does using glx actually make any sense? (any difference?)
>
> If I remember correctly this is a bug in the old xserver release.
>
> On newer operating systems all symbols in binary must be resolved
> "directly" during linking, i.e. Xvnc must be linked directly against
> libdl.so, not against library which is linked against libdl.so. The
> second approach worked on older OSs and older xserver source depends
> on this behavior. Newer xserver releases have this bug fixed.
So I guess the simple patch I did (prepend the libs to XSERVER_SYS_LIBS)
should be merged in some form so that people can continue to build using
"build-xorg 7.4" on newer systems?
As this should not affect/break the build on older systems.

> And about GLX - if you need Xvnc with GLX extension then you must
> build it with GLX support :)
Hah, yes, obviously. I guess what I am wondering is if this makes any
difference to VNC itself, probably not? It just gains the ability to
render GL surfaces and VNC doesn't care?
Are there any reasons not to include it by default?

Cheers
Antoine