On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 04:01:26AM -0600, DRC wrote:
> We had one-- the Tight Security Extension.  :)  I signed off on removing
> it before I fully understood the ramifications.

Please don't mix up Encryption with VeNCrypt. VeNCrypt consists of two
parts:

1) An extended chooser, which has enough available security type
numbers even for every hobby developer.

2) New security types (TLS encryption with/without certificates,
Username/Password authentification + various combinations also
reusing the classic security types).

The Tight security extension was a different chooser implementation
(so was something similar to 1): It included a (never implemented)
tunnel type [=encryption] and an authentification type.

So the main difference is, that with VeNCrypt you can say that the
server allows "(TLS with VNCAuth) or (X509 with None)", while tight
allowed only "(TLS or X509) and (VNCAuth or None)".

Any security type (encryption or authentification) can be hooked into
VeNCrypt as it could be hooked into the Tight Security Type.

Side node: In my option, it would be the best, to let the VeNCrypt
security type vanish for our users (by putting it automatically as
first element to the list of enabled security types) - so enabling it
by default as done for the tight security type. This still works, even
if the user only enables VNCAuth/None and/or communicates with a
non-VenCrypt capable VNC implementation.

A user is more likely to think, that he wants eg. X509Plain as first,
VncAuth as second and TLSNone as third alternative. Currently, he has
to add VeNCrypt manually. If he does not add it as first element, the
effective order is different:

* First come all standard security types from the list up to the position of
VeNcrypt.
* After that the whole list is appended.

Regards,
Martin Kögler