Sorry to jump on this thread so late, but with regards to the java
viewer...  I have a version that I've been developing for a customer for
about a year & half now.  It's based on the RealVNC code rather than the
TightVNC, but it has a fair amount of features if anyone is interested.  The
interface has been ported to swing and looks nearly identical to the RealVNC
windows exe.  I've implemented 24-bit color depth, wheel mouse support,
full-screen mode, etc.  I had implemented TLS + plain password auth in the
gtk-vino style, but I'm currently re-writing this to support VeNCrypt
instead (that work is partially complete, no x509 support yet).  The initial
motivation for this work was the ability to deploy and update it as a signed
applet via JWS, which is still an advantage of a java client.  Obviously,
another viewer is probably the last thing anyone wants from a code
management standpoint, but I do think it's easier to keep the RealVNC-based
java code in sync with the core C code than the TightVNC-based java.
Anyway, just thought that I'd toss it out there...

-brian