After messing with trying to build FLTK on Windows, I really want to
include a "golden" version of the FLTK source in our tree and have the
library optionally built using the CMake build system (using a
USE_INCLUDED_FLTK option.)  I'm more than happy to write this code and
do the integration.

If people don't want to use the in-tree version, they don't have to, but
trying to document a reproducible build procedure is pretty much
impossible for Windows right now, because building FLTK requires the
Visual Studio IDE.  This precludes being able to build a 64-bit version
unless you are using the "paid" version of Visual C++, and it's not
straightforward even then.  It's also really a pain to build FLTK on
Unix.  FLTK isn't using a modern version of autotools, so out-of-tree
builds and other stuff doesn't work.

I am generally OK with introducing external dependencies that are
readily available in binary library form on all supported platforms (as
is the case for libjpeg-turbo), but FLTK isn't even generally available
on Linux.  I am not in favor of hard external dependencies that have to
be built from source, particularly when the build procedure for those
dependencies is not straightforward and we're requiring custom patches
at the moment.

With GnuTLS, having a somewhat esoteric build procedure is OK, because
that is not a critical component for TigerVNC.  FLTK is.  It needs to be
easier to build.

I've been including FLTK in the VirtualGL source for years, with no
issues.  It's not security-critical code, so we don't really need to
focus on "maintaining" it in our tree.  We would just need to upgrade it
if something didn't work.

DRC