On 10/4/11 4:34 AM, Peter Åstrand wrote:
>> Frankly, the fact that the main project developers insist on the use of
>> esoteric build environments is a problem.
>
> MinGW had 1,059,337 downloads the last 7 days. The method of cross
> compiling Windows binaries on Linux, using MinGW, is used by popular
> projects such as VLC. I'm not sure if you know about it, but VLC is a
> long-time open-source favorite, typically considered one of the best
> media players, and have had 36,900,001 downloads on cnet.com alone.
>
> Calling MinGW "esoteric" is just plain wrong.

You are mixing your metaphors, Peter.  Most people who use MinGW use it
on an actual Windows machine, which is different from using it on a
Linux machine.  We already encountered one problem caused by this
difference-- the fact that autotools on Windows was unusably slow and,
prior to implementing a CMake-based build system for Windows, there was
no reasonable way to build our code on an actual Windows machine.  I'm
not asking you to change the way you build things.  If you want to use
MinGW, then that's fine.  If we didn't need Visual Studio for certain
functionality, I'd be fine with not supporting it at all for this
project, but as long as it's needed to get full functionality, then the
primary project developers need to at least sanity check it.  This most
recent breakage went weeks before I was able to get around to building
on Windows and discovering the issue, then I wasted an hour figuring out
what was wrong.  I'm not asking you to do anything that I don't also do
myself.

Further, aren't you also cross-compiling Mac code?

>> though, we're all in the dark regarding what Cendio is doing with the
>> code.  It would be helpful to at least have some communication
>> regarding upcoming ThinLinc releases, so we know generally what
>> snapshot of the code that Cendio is testing/stabilizing.
>
> We are always using the trunk version.

I figured that, but no one knows when you put out a release or what
testing/stabilization is occurring on your end.  Thus, we end up with
"dangling" releases in the project, because Cendio's releases are not
coincident with project releases, and you guys tend to lose interest in
fixing things that aren't part of your release.  Hence the situation
with 1.1.