I have hundreds of users using TurboVNC (which doesn't have a CUT) with dual
1920x1200 displays, and CPU is definitely the primary limitation. They are not
having issues with bandwidth.

What I'm saying is that we should not have a knee-jerk reaction to this or to
decide based on only one or two apps. This needs to be studied at the low
level.  I know for a fact that the CUT kills performance for 3D and video apps.

Pierre, more specifically, Cendio hired me to improve the performance of
TigerVNC, and it doesn't  make sense to then reverse some of that hard-fought
gain.

Will discuss further when I'm back in the office.