Bug Tracker item #3513768, was opened at 2012-03-31 12:48
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by agittins
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1126848&aid=3513768&group_id=254363

not just the latest update.
Category: Windows version
Group: 1.2.X

Initial Comment:
I've seen this in both the beta 1.1.90 version and the release 1.2.0 version.
When I run TigerVNC (in either service mode or user mode) on Windows XP SP3,
connecting with multiple VNC clients.  I can consistently repeat the crash by
opening up Internet Explorer 8 and selecting the address bar to enter a URL.
Here is the only crash info Windows gives:

szAppName : winvnc4.exe     szAppVer : 1.2.0.0     szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0     offset : 00000000

Comment By: Ashley Gittins (agittins)
Date: 2012-08-31 19:22

Message:
Ok, I changed to the Cirrus driver for my XP guest and still had the same
problems so it doesn't appear to be related to the driver in my case.

I downgraded to 1.1.0 and all the problems went away. I don't have much
else to contribute except to say that I can reproduce the OP's problem
using another app, with 100% repeatability, upon a specific application
receiving mouseover on its edit boxes.

Comment By: Ashley Gittins (agittins)
Date: 2012-08-31 00:12

Message:
I'm seeing similar problems here. I have a 32bit WinXP SP3 machine running
under QEMU, using the standard VGA driver.

I have a horrid industry-specific application that causes the crash in
winvnc4.exe as soon as any of its editboxes gets/triggers a mouseover (ie,
as soon as my mouse cursor enters the area of an edit box, and before the
cursor changes to a carat pointer, winvnc4.exe crashes).

I just tried setting vnc to poll windows instead of using hooks but it
still crashes. Interestingly it doesn't matter if it's the vnc client or
the server that's sending the mousemove, as long as there is an active vnc
session the vnc service will crash on entering the editbox.

This started happening when I updated to TigerVNC 1.2.0 today, previously I
think I had been running 1.0.1 but tbh I didn't check before updating.

No further information on the crash was evident in the application event
log, but there were a few log entries thrown while winvnc4.exe started up
(I am running it as a service):

CleanDesktop, failed to get/set Active Desktop options:-2147024809
SDisplay, hook subsystem failed to initialise
WMHooks, failed to initialise hooks.

After changing to polling (instead of using vnc hooks) the error above
about wmhooks no longer appeared, but the crashes persist.

I am currently using the straight VGA driver with qemu but I just noticed
windows has exclamation-marked it in the drivers, will see if sorting that
out helps...

I can attach a memory dump if it might help but I can't do much else
debugging wise as I don't have the time and will probably just downgrade if
I can't get it sorted.