On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:37 AM, DRC <dcomman...@users.sourceforge.net>wrote:

> On 6/10/13 4:18 AM, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > I tested on the 10.8 and 10.4 machines we have here for testing
> > ThinLinc, and the results were:
> >
> >   10.8: Works fine (AFAICT)
> >
> >   10.4: Boom:
> >
> > lab-21:~/Desktop aaron$  ./TigerVNC\ Viewer\
> 1.2.90.app/Contents/MacOS/TigerVNC\ Viewer
> > dyld: Symbol not found: ___stack_chk_guard
> >    Referenced from: /Users/aaron/Desktop/./TigerVNC Viewer
> 1.2.90.app/Contents/MacOS/TigerVNC Viewer
> >      Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
> >
> >      Trace/BPT trap

Thanks Pierre.  That's basically expected since I was not able to get all
of the pre-req's to build for a 10.4 deployment target (can't remember at
the moment which one gave me trouble) so I bumped the min version to 10.5.

On a side note, per Peter's bug report (http://www.fltk.org/str.php?L2917)
FLTK 1.3.2 doesn't build for 10.5.  I tried applying the diff of 9798:9799
to the 1.3.2 source but the resulting code doesn't compile either so I just
went with the patch that Peter had proposed (which is not what FLTK
implemented in their trunk).

> Building for 10.4 compatibility is tricky on newer releases of OS X.
> You have to use Xcode 3.2.x, which is not supported on 10.7 and later
> (and can in fact hose your system if you are not careful to avoid
> installing the kernel extensions.)

Yeah, I had tried unsuccessfully with 4.2.x on 10.7 and finally ended up
installing 10.6 SLS in a VM.

> If Xcode 3.2.x is installed, then the instructions in BUILDING.txt can
> be used to make the 32-bit fork of the binary compatible with 10.4 (but

I did try following the build recipe but as I noted above, got tripped up
on one or more of the pre-req's.  I ended up having to set
--host=i386-apple-darwin10.5.0 in order to prevent gnutls,libgrypt, etc.
from building 64 bit objects.  Even then, one of them bails out when I try
to target 10.4.

> not the 64-bit fork.)  I don't see much of a point to supporting 10.4
> these days, though.  10.4 was a hardware-specific release of OS X, so
> you had to have a DVD of it that was built for your specific Mac model.
>   No one in their right mind would still be using it, because none of
> the Mac commercial, OSS, or indie (shareware) software supports it
> anymore.  I still use one of the first-gen Intel MacBooks that came with
> 10.4 (a 32-bit-only Mac, which are rare), and I upgraded it to 10.6 last
> year and haven't looked back.

I can post the build script if anyone is interested, but I agree that it's
probably not worth the effort.

-brian